Thursday 7 August 2008

Random stuff ...

  • I've been back at work for 2 weeks and four days and it feels like I haven't had a holiday in years!
  • We have a new manager at work who is driving everyone crazy and not in a good way. He managed to last all of 3 hours on his first day at our store before he had to "go and sit down somewhere quiet with a cup of coffee" for two hours!! And he talks so much about absolutely nothing, the other office girls and I have resorted to asking him if he wants syrup to go with his waffle. I think he still doesn't get it because he just smiles and nods!
  • Had parent-teacher interviews for Alex on Tuesday night. What a surprise .. he hasn't been doing his homework (can you see the sarcasm dripping??) I resisted the urge to say that it was because I didn't have the patience to stand over him with a big stick for the entire time he wasn't actually at school to try and make him finish it. Instead I said something along the lines of "I've finished high school and I passed. I don't need to do it again. It's his turn to step up and take responsibility for his own actions or lack thereof." (Doesn't that sound soooo much better??) Now I'm just in the running for the "Neglectful Mother of the Year" award. Yay, something else to dust!!
  • Andrew is going through an 'overly emotional' stage (who needs a teenage girl for mood swings?) That usually means he's about to grow so maybe he'll finally grow out of the uniform shirts he's been wearing for the last three years. Poor kid is hanging out for the day he reaches my chin. Not quite sure why .. it's nothing spectacular to look at!
  • I have finally managed to catch up with Jackie for a coffee. It's been so long since we sat and had a counselling session .. oops, I mean chat .. but we just picked up where we left off last time. Either we both need to get new, more interesting lives or rejoice in the fact that our friendship can survive, even when we ourselves are floundering. Thanks Jack .. love ya!
  • My littlest darling is being rather forceful in expressing his opinion at the moment. I have had to remind him several times that this house is not a democracy; it's a benevolent dictatorship and that the level of benevolence can change very quickly when the dictator is pushed too far. He now understands what "going Amish" means in practical terms!
  • Last Monday was the 8th anniversary of Dad's death. Mum wanted us to all be together so we had dinner at her house, then watched a very old video (1985) of our holiday in New Zealand. Bradley was fascinated by the footage of Dad and Andrew was happy to hear his voice again. They all asked why he was speaking 'funny' though! (Dad's from Liverpool, England and had quite a broad accent at times)
  • I had some money left out of my and Peter's tax returns after paying the council rates and water rates bills ($2200!) so I splurged and bought myself a pair of new earrings. I figured I could always pawn them if I needed to. (Just kidding!!)
  • Scrapping has taken a back seat to reading at the moment. Trashy romance novels are the theme of the week so far because escapism is a wonderful thing! I'm still trying to find the rest of the Stephanie Plum series at the library so I might just have to give up and buy them instead.
  • Only have to put on one more load of washing, start the dishwasher, fold the washing on the table ready for tomorrow, clean up the kitchen, take the garbage out and turn out all the lights the kids have left on and then I can go to bed. Night all!

No comments: