Sunday 26 October 2008

Today is the first day of daylight savings ..

and I have a feeling it's going to be a looooong summer.

I know some people, approximately 50.5% of Western Australia's population, love daylight savings and can't wait for it to start. I, however, am in the 49.5% who either don't like it or can't understand why we need it.

In summer our days are hot enough and long enough already, so the idea of spending more time outside in the hotter parts of the day just because the clock says to, doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. The kids are coming home from school at the hottest part of the day, as are a lot of part-time workers and the power grid couldn't cope with the demand for air conditioning last year. What's it going to be like this time?

It was supposed to be a trial for three years with a referendum to be held at the end of that time but with the change in governments, both federal and state, I wonder if it will just get swept under the rug. Have to wait and see, I suppose.

OK .. I'll climb down off my soapbox for now .. crack, creak, moan, groan .. getting too old for this!

No comments: