Friday 10 October 2008

Pity party for one ...

I'm sick .. whinge, whine, stamping feet in childish tantrum .. and now I can't go see my beautiful new niece .. 'Not Happy, Jan!'

I actually took a day off work today due to my illness (sore throat and no voice), not the kids' for a change, and have spent most of the day using gestures and facial expressions to make myself understood. After getting Brad's attention I mimed what I wanted him to do, to which he replied "Life is just one never-ending game of charades for you, isn't it?" and then, when he realised he'd actually said it out loud, just stood there with a shocked expression on his face. I think he thought he was going to get in trouble for back-chatting so when I smiled at him, the look of relief on his face was priceless!

Yesterday should have been cancelled due to total lack of interest as well as the heaps of bad things just waiting to happen. Let's see:
  1. Woke up late (8am) after falling asleep at about 2am.
  2. Had hardly any voice when I woke up and had the beginnings of a very sore throat.
  3. Decided to go to work anyway (figured I could always come home early .. what a joke!)
  4. On my way to work I realised I had almost no petrol so was praying I would make it there.
  5. Looked up from checking the fuel gauge and realised I was speeding so took my foot off the accelerator .. 5 seconds too late.
  6. Got picked up for speeding and copped a $75 fine.
  7. Finally arrived at work .. 20 minutes late .. and got 'spoken to' for being late.
  8. Got into my office to find some thieving lowlife had pinched all my pens and my stapler.
  9. Was 'spoken to' again for something else that wasn't even anything to do with me.
  10. Realised I'd lost my mobile phone.

All that between 8 and 9am and it stayed that way pretty much all day.

Today, at least I was at home, even though I felt lousy and should have tried to catch up on some sleep instead of all the things I did instead. I managed to hem the curtains I've been meaning to get to for ages, played games with the boys, watched them draw all over the carport with chalk, listened to their versions of funny jokes, got them to help me with some cleaning up outside, did washing, played endless games of charades trying to get them to do other stuff for me, cooked them pancakes and brownies and watched Iron Man with them.

All in all, not too bad a day, even though I resorted to using pen and paper to get my requests across after they claimed they couldn't understand my 'charades'. Trouble with that was that they then claimed they couldn't read my writing. All very convenient I tell you! There will be consequences ...

probably next week when I get my voice back!

No comments: