Wednesday 23 July 2008

Moving worries ... again!

I know you're probably all sticking your hands over your ears .. I mean your eyes .. and yelling "no more with the talk about moving already!" but 'the elephant in the corner of the room' just won't go away. (I'm still not moving to Red Dirt Central though!)

Little bit of background: Our block was originally part of a bigger block that had a church and our house on it. The church wanted to amalgamate parishes (and make some money) so they subdivided the bigger block into two; one large block (3000sqm) with the building that was a church and one smaller block (1000sqm) with our house on it. It was originally an almost square block, but due to regulations about lot sizes for public buildings, both blocks ended up being odd shapes.

The building next door is currently being used as a daycare centre and the owner has decided to sell it to fund another development project he has in the works. As a result, it's now up for auction at the end of this month. Due to the current trend of building as many units on one block as possible and therefore making a huge profit, the agent selling next door asked if we would be willing to sell our house to whoever wins the auction. He then went on to state he has several very interested parties so the chances of us selling are fairly high.

Now I have to admit, as much as I love the idea of living next to a major construction site, on a main road, on a block that only has one access point that is often blocked due to idiots and their insane parking habits, I think I would rather move. (In case you hadn't gathered, this is where the talk of moving starts again. Just so you know and can run screaming from the computer.)

After another brief conversation with Peter about moving, we still haven't come any closer to an acceptable-to-both-parties compromise. He's still looking at places about 2 to 2.5 hours drive away, in prime red dirt country, whereas I'm looking at something a lot closer to where we are now so the boys can stay in the school they're in. Yes, it's more expensive now but it will be worth a lot more in the long run, especially if things keep expanding the way they are now. (And no, I am not referring to my butt and its nasty habit of expanding. I meant the edges of the suburban sprawl, so be nice!)

I really think I should be looking at rooms in the local mental hospital at the rate I'm going. I wonder if they do discounts for advance bookings?

No comments: